Saturday, November 21, 2009

Is this Unitarian or what?

Tomorrow is our congregation's Thanksgiving service. It's one of the rare occasions where we have communion. This year, like last, it will be a cornbread & apple cider communion. And again this year I was asked to make the cornbread (actually, mini muffins).

This is how you know it's Unitarian: the cornbread is gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, and vegan. Last year I made the same muffins, but egg-free cooking was pretty new to me and I was afraid to try it. In the spirit on inclusion, I decided to go for it this year. Our minister's daughter has an egg allergy, and I wanted her to be able to participate in the occasion.

Sadly, we won't be attending the service. Teddy's been sick since Wednesday and while he is better today, he won't be well enough tomorrow. I don't think he'll be going to school Monday, either.

I don't remember where I got the original corn muffin recipe. Teddy loves it. I make it weekly and he takes 3 of the mini muffins to school for snack. The original recipe called for Pamela's all-purpose gluten-free baking mix. As Teddy has a nut allergy, using that is out of the question. I've adapted a gluten-free flour mix that I think is excellent (& will post soon), or use any you like.



Corn Muffins, gluten-free
makes about 4 dozen mini muffins


Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups corn meal

3/4 cups gluten-free flour

1/2 cups sugar

1 T baking powder

1 tsp salt

1 cup milk (non-dairy if desired)

2 eggs (or equilivent egg replacer)

3 T melted butter (or oil)



Directions:

Pre-heat oven to 400, spray mini muffin pan with non-stick spray.
All ingredients should be at room temperature.


In a medium bowl, combine corn meal, GF flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.

In a small bowl, whisk together milk, eggs, and melted butter.

Make a well in the dry ingredients and add the milk mixture. Mix until just combined. Scoop batter into prepared pan.

Bake 15 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Turn out onto cooling rack & let cool completely.



Enjoy!
Susan











No comments:

Post a Comment